Monday, February 4, 2013

Unexpected Love by Julie Zine Coleman


As I read the book’s description I was quickly captivated by the subject – the author’s objective for this book is to analyze the conversations recorded in the Bible between Jesus and women. She does that wonderfully – I was amazed at how in depth she digs into the original meanings of some key words in conversations, as well as bringing the context of those conversations in bright light for us to understand. There are a LOT of notes for each chapter which only proves how amazing of a job she did with the research, so she is not just pointing out her opinions and speculations here, she brings objective and valuable information based on solid research.

The book is divided into 9 chapters, one dedicated for each conversation recorded in the Scripture. The chapters are smartly organized: before the beginning of each chapter there is the passage in the Bible where the conversation is recorded. The chapters begin with a summary of the story, then there’s the Digging Deeper part and here’s where the author answers the difficult questions with thorough research; at the end there’s an applicable part entitled For Today’s Woman. For those who want to go deeper and use this book as a tool for group studies, there’s the Food for Thought part after each chapter. And for personal study there’s the Journaling part, which I loved.

It was truly an amazing book. It’s perfect for digging deeper into the Word of God and understanding Jesus and his heart for people, especially for women. I am definitely planning on reading this book again.

For more resources you can check out Julie Coleman's blog and the book's official website.


I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com; book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Bianca:
    Thank you for this kind review! I so appreciated your positive remarks about my research and writing. Studying the material and then writing about what the Lord showed me was a life-changing experience. Jesus really was awesome at meeting women where they were and moving them forward. I fell in love with him all over again.

    I'm grateful to you for taking the time to read and then review Unexpected Love. Thank you!

    Sincerely,

    Julie Coleman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) It was really a great pleasure for me to read and to review your book; it's one of those books that change you, really powerful and very well written. I do believe this whole process was life-changing for you because the power of that is all over this book. Jesus is really awesome at doing that :)

      Delete